4 large egg whites
1¼ cups sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp honey
2½ cups unsweetened coconut (see note)
¼ cup flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. In a large skillet, mix together the egg whites, sugar, salt, honey, coconut and flour.
2. Heat over low-to-moderate heat on the stovetop, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom as you stir.
3. When the mixture just begins to scorch at the bottom, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer to a bowl to cool to room temperature. (At this point, the mixture can be chilled for up to one week, or frozen for up to two months.)
4. When ready to bake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Form the dough into 1 1/2-inch mounds with your fingers evenly spaced on the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until deep golden brown. Cool completely.
6. To dip the macaroons in chocolate, melt the chocolate in a clean, dry bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in a microwave.) Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Dip the bottoms of each cookie in the chocolate and set the cookies on the baking sheet. Refrigerate 5-10 minutes, until the chocolate is set.