adapted from Bake Me Away!
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
a couple pinches of black pepper
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar (separated)
2 large eggs
1. Combine the spices (cinnamon through ground pepper) in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and 1 teaspoon of the spice mix.
3. In a mixer at medium speed, cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar until fluffy.
4. Scrape down the sides, then beat in the eggs.
5. Add in the sifted dry ingredients in three additions, each time, beating until their is little to no loose flour left. When the dough has come together, chill in the fridge for about an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
7. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar with the spice mix.
8. Roll spoon-fulls of dough into balls (I like ping-pong ball-sized) and roll them in the sugar/spice mixture. Repeat and place the dough balls about two inches apart.
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through the cooking time. The tops should crack a little bit, and the cookies should be chewy in the middles and crispy on the edges. Store in an airtight container!
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
1 day ago