adapted from Pithy and Cleaver
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil (such as canola or grapeseed)
1/4 cup molasses (I like dark or "full flavor", but not blackstrap)
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
1/4 cup coarse sugar, for rolling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa, cardamom, and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in egg, grated fresh ginger, and molasses until smooth. Fold in the flour mixture until well combined, then stir in candied ginger.
4. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, roll in coarse sugar if desired and place on baking sheet. Bake 6-7 minutes until just set.
5. Let cookies cool for 3-5 minutes on cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack until cool.
Makes 3 dozen.
Calamansi Beer Cooler
14 hours ago